A dark neck with lines is a problematic issue for a lot of people, especially when the complexion of your face is light but the skin colour of the neck begins to darken, which causes a lot of distress to people. When a dark neck with lines appears to women, they hesitate to wear fashionable clothes. And when it happens to men, they hesitate in wearing open neck t-shirts. In fact, in a lot of ways, this problem causes an inferiority complex in people. Which makes them feel under-confident and unsure. Sometimes people’s mistakes this for dirt accumulated on the neck and then scrub the area with soap, but the net result is that instead of skin getting lighter it gets darker because of daily rubbing with soap and loss of moisture themselves.
Causes of dark neck with lines
- Acanthosis nigricans: It is a condition where there is insulin resistance. Meaning that the body cannot take up the insulin that is being produced by the pancreas. Then their pancreas makes more insulin than before. The insulin then thickens the skin, as the skin is thickened it also becomes darker and appears more velvety and darker. This result in itchy skin, burning sensation and sometimes it causes the sweat coming from the neck to smell bad. Between 60%-74% of people in the age group, 40-60 years can suffer from this problem. It is mainly targeted by obesity. There can also be the appearance of multiple skin tags such as the neck, armpit, groin area and sometimes under the breast. So, if you have thickening and darkening of the skin in those areas, then you have to rule out Acanthosis nigricans.
- Friction: If you have a habit of wearing thick chains while sleeping or during the day that can also rub the skin and lead to darkening in the area. If you wear shirts that have collars that are very stiff and starched, they can also rub against the back of your neck and lead to dark neck with lines over time. The darkening can also occur if you are. Because the two surfaces of the neck are rubbing against each other, they can be thickening and darkening of this area so make sure you are well within your normal weight. You can know if you are overweight by calculating your BMI, which is your body mass index. IT has to be below 25. If it’s above 25, then you are overweight the formula for calculating BMI is dividing your weight in kilograms by height in meters square, the number you get should be below 25
- Sun exposure: Sun exposure and tanning can lead to darkening of the skin in the neck area. Especially if you keep your hair short or if you are a woman who ties your hair up, then this leads to sun exposure which in turn leads to darkening off the skin.
- Lichen planus pigmentosus: This is a condition in which there is a darkening of the skin where there is a slight blue kind of pigmentation on the face especially on the sides of the face, neck and the upper chest as well. In this condition, you can see dark spots on the neck area.
- Eczema: Eczema can also lead to dark neck. There is a condition called atopic dermatitis in which there is dryness and thickening and darkening of the skin in areas such as under the eye, the neck, in front of your elbows and behind your knees, these areas can be darker and thicker.
- Medicines: Darkening of the neck occurs due to intake of any kind of medicines such as tetracycline or any kind of anti-malarial medicine that can also lead to darkening.
How to prevent Dark neck with lines?
- Weight loss: First and foremost you have to keep your weight under check. You have to know how much your body mass index is and try to keep it under 25. You need to do regular exercise and follow a healthy diet, try to cut down your sugar intake and carbohydrate intake. And try to increase your fibre and protein intake this will help you in reducing your weight. Along with this, you should do a regular exercise for at least 30 minutes a day. Once you reduce your weight, you will notice the darker area gets light over time.
- Jewellery: Make sure you do not wear any kind of chains before going to bed, you should wear clothes that do not tug against your neck try to avoid t-shirts with a collar that will rub against your neck.
- Do not scrub: Do not try to scrub this area, as this has occurred because of friction, so avoid scrubbing. You may think scrubbing makes your skin clean and light but this is not the case you ‘re only going to injure yourself by doing this which leads to more darkening of your neck.
- Sunscreen: You should always use sunscreen even on your neck. The neck is a neglected area whenever we apply sunscreen we usually apply it on the face and the front of your neck but never on the back of the neck. So make sure you apply sunscreen on your neck especially when you ride a bike or the neck area is going to expose to the sun.
Creams to lighten the Dark neck with lines
Any cream which contains glycolic acid. If you have a thick neck with folds, then I suggest you go for glycolic acid in a lower percentage that is about 6% and that too only once or twice a week. Whenever you apply glycolic acid in your body folds it remains there for a long time, this can lead to irritation and redness so you make sure that you apply that in very less quantity once or twice a week.
If you have slight darkening, then you can use the creams such as biluma or kojivit ultra. These creams lighten the skin and your neck area. You can also use demelan cream which contains glycolic acid 10% this cream has to be applied to the neck area at night only twice a week.
Other related topics
[…] Dark neck with lines […]